Noticias del proyecto Brokenhead River Ecological Reserve

15 de febrero de 2020

Brokenhead Ecological Reserve

Province/Territory: Manitoba
Name: Brokenhead Ecological Reserve
Location:

SW 16-14-08E
Latitude - 50° 11' N Longitude - 95° 26' W
NTS Map # - 62 I/1

Total Area: 66 ha
Ecosystem(s) Represented: mixed wood river bottom forest
Eco-description:

soils -          heavy clays with poor drainage of the Dencross, Framnes, Glenmoor, Osborne and Scanterbury series.


topography - flat, gently sloping towards the river with total elevation change of 2-3 metres.


vegetation - White Spruce (Picea glauca), Green Ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica), Elm (Ulmus americana), Balsam Fir (Abies balsamifera), Manitoba Maple (Acer negundo), Paper Birch (Betula papyrifera), Trembling Aspen (Populus tremuloides), Balsam Poplar (Populus balsamifera), Bur Oak (Quercus macrocarpa), Highbush Cranberry (Viburnum trilobum), Hazelnut (Corylus cornuta), Canada Plum (Prunus nigra), Currants (Ribes spp.), Raspberry (Rubus sp.), Poison ivy (Rhus radicans), Fairy Bells (Disporum trachycarpum), Wood Nettle (Laportea canadensis), Nodding Trillium (Trillium cernuum), Wild Ginger (Asarum canadense), Mitterwort (Mitella nuda), Downy Yellow Violet (Viola pubescens), Wild Sarsaparilla (Aralia nudicaulis), Fragrant Bedstraw (Galium triflorum), Sweet Cicely (Osmorhiza longistylis), Wild lily-of-the-valley (Maianthemum canadense).


fauna -          Beaver (Castor canadensis), Mink (Mustela vison), Red Fox (Vulpes vulpes), Red Squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus), Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus).

Outstanding Features: mature river bottom forest changing from hardwoods to a mixed forest as distance from the river increases; trees up to 60-65 cm diameter and a well developed understory
Degree of Disturbance: moderate in 10% of total area due to agricultural use and tree felling in the past. Slight, in remaining 90%. Elm component of forest decimated by disease, therefore wind throw is obvious and canopy is opening.
Protective Status:

degree - rigorous
legislation - Ecological Reserves Act
agency - Manitoba Natural Resources
date established - July 9, 1978
IUCN Category - I

Access: Provincial Highway No 12 and local road. Travel within the reserve is allowed only by persons on foot.
Selected References:

Hathaway, B.L. 1984. A Botanical Survey of Three Ecological Reserves in Manitoba. Department of Natural Resources Manuscript Report 84-22
Ward, Marge. 1977. Brokenhead River IBP Site Proposal. Resource Programs. Department of Renewable Resources.

Date updated: May 25, 1988

transcribed from photocopy pp 3-5; Species links are to the 2020 taxon equivalents of the species mentioned in the original text :)

Ingresado el 15 de febrero de 2020 por marykrieger marykrieger | 0 comentarios | Deja un comentario

Archivos

Vida Silvestre es una entidad asociada a la Organización Mundial de Conservación